Monday 15 August 2011

Why Industrial Design?

Major Design Project (Year 12) - Finished product.
During high school i always wanted to get into a course that encouraged creative thinking but wasn’t sure what exactly i wanted to pursue. I thought a lot about courses relating to architecture and product design until i finally came across industrial design. In year 12 i chose to do Design and Technology as one of my electives, which involved working on a free choice major project throughout the year. I really benefited from the freedom of being able to design whatever i want and then actually going ahead and making it myself. I chose to design a unique piece of furniture which was to be a study lounge for my room. Not only was the final product useful for me in the end but the whole process was something i enjoyed. The researching, sketching ideas, and solving design problems along the way really appealed to me and i realised during that year that I wanted to be an industrial designer.

The Industrial design program seemed really relevant to me because of all the practical work that it involved rather than theoretical work. I also wanted to travel overseas at some point either for study or just for the fun of it and i figured studying ID would help me with that. Teaching design and technology or industrial design is also something i would like to try some day. The main reason for my choice is that i enjoy the process of design, and solving problems that designers face. The use of 3D modelling software as well as graphic design programs combined with the traditional pen and paper method of communicating ideas really helped my decision.

There were a number of reasons that led me to choose to study at UNSW. Firstly, the industrial design program at UNSW seemed relevant to the actual course and what i wanted to do, compared to the other universities in Sydney that offer it. The campus here at UNSW has a good vibe to it and the location is decent too, which, in my opinion are a few important factors that should be thought about.

The ultimate goal for me when i graduate would be working for the Holden Design Team in Melbourne or for another well established automotive company either in Australia or overseas. Later on i would also like to set up my own company with a few other designers to design products that really appeal to me. The freedom of working under my own terms is something that would be challenging for me, however i feel as though i will enjoy it. I also consider teaching one day either at University or at high school would be something for me.

The whole creative process of designing and problem solving is usually challenging and i want to constantly try and push myself to become better at whatever it is i might end up doing.

Sunprit Singh

No comments:

Post a Comment